Friday 13 November 2015

A timely reminder...

So, after a couple of weeks of being glued to my KDP sales report following my promo - religiously checking to see how many sales I've made each day, and whether I've made back the money I spent on the advertising -  I had a very timely reminder of why I do this.

Because sometimes I forget that it isn't about the sales. It isn't about the money.

If I'm honest I'll admit that I will probably never get to the point of being able to write completely full time. Right now on good months I maybe make a part time wage - but only on the good months - and the rest of the time it's just a nice supplement to our family income.

It's easy for me to get caught up in that side of it, and forget why I started doing this.

Today I got that reminder. An email sent through my website. It's not the first time I've connected with people over my books, but there was something about the wording of this one that really touched me. She'd reached out to me, just to let me know how much she loved what I'd written. And it reminded me right then of the reason I do what I do.

I write because I love to entertain people. I write because I love it, and I hope that others can find some joy in it as well.

So I'm all set to have a wonderful weekend. It's certainly starting off on the right foot. I hope you all are too!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! There are bigger rewards than making money. Never lose sight of that. For me, the big attraction of the money (aside from paying the bills) is the ability to write full time - - because there's never enough time to write all the things I want to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely get that! I think it's the same for me. I'm very lucky right now that I work part-time and therefore get a lot more time to write - but to be able to earn enough that writing is my primary job would be wonderful. But in the meantime this was such a good reminder when I start to get lax and/or wrapped up too much in the promotion/marketing side of things.

    ReplyDelete