Monday 14 April 2014

Desert Island Books


I was chatting to someone the other day about reading, and how much I love to bury myself in a good book, and they asked me ‘if you were stuck on a desert island, which 5 books would you absolutely have to have with you?’ It was something no one had ever asked me before and it’s a bit sad how long I had to think about it.

(Owen Island)

Of course, I didn’t like to mention to them that I pretty much do live on a desert island when it comes to getting hold of new books to read. (I swear about 50% of my salary when I did work full time went on buying books for my kindle.) But even though my Kindle is my life-saver I do like still love proper paper books. Maybe it makes me old-fashioned, but I really do feel that there is a difference between curling up with a kindle (or Nook, Ipad whatever) and a proper book.

That aside, if someone told me I had to pick 5 books, what would they be?

1.       The Lord of the Rings (obvious answer for anyone who knows me). And I class that as one book not three. It doesn’t matter how many times I read them, they will never get old.

2.       Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I know I can’t really get away with classing all 7 books as one – so I have to pick my favourite. But Harry Potter in general will always have a special place in my heart. I’ll be the first to admit that J.K isn’t the absolute best writer, but she is a Master of story-telling.

3.       Flowers of Algernon. Honestly just one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s beautifully written, incredibly engaging and wonderfully thought-provoking.

4.       Pride and Prejudice. Again, don’t think I need to say much about this one. To be honest I love all of Jane Austen’s books – but Mr Darcy *sigh*.

5.       Every. Single. Book. Written. By. Terry Pratchett. Ok, so I guess I have to choose one. But to be honest it’s almost impossible. If I could only read the entire discworld books over and over again for the rest of my life, I don’t think I would get bored. The man is a genius. But, if I do have to pick one it would probably have to be Guards Guards! It’s the first book where we meet Vimes and the Night Watch, and introduces you to my favourite character. (Vimes!)

That’s my 5 (or 7 if you’re really being picky) books that I class as my top reads – and the books that I will happily read over and over and over again.

Now it’s your turn. What are your top 5? What books do you go back to year after year?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment